Okay, so I'll be honest. Eating healthier does cost a little more, but it doesn't have to break the bank! AND if you aren't spending it on nutritious foods that fuel your body and make you feel good, you are eventually going to waste a lot of money on medicines that make you feel horrible. I choose the healthy food option!
I bet you have had the battle of whether to eat organic foods or not in your head before, right? I'm sure we all have! And here are some things that may go through your mind:
- Guilt - "I can't afford to eat organic foods, so I'm just not even going to try and eat healthy!"
- Justification - "Organic can't really be that much different, so I really don't see what the big deal is."
- Anxiety - I'm just going to buy it because I know it'll be good for my family, but money will be tight for other things."
Can you relate to any of those? I think I've battled with them all at one point or another!
Instead of feeling all of those icky feelings, why not compromise with yourself based on your needs for your family? Don't beat yourself up for what you cannot do and don't feel like you have to ignore it either!
I personally buy foods organically grown that are the most heavily soiled with pesticides and here are my top 5:
- Apples - I usually have an apple a day, so I find it's beneficial to go organic with apples! I am obsessed with Pink Lady apples, but don't always get them because they are a more expensive apple, but organic Gala apples seem to be reasonable most of the time - especially if you can find a 3lb or 5lb bag!
- Leafy Greens - I am a spinach lover (still learning to love kale)! I love it in my smoothies, salads, and recipes! Just make sure to wash and dry them really good!
- Berries - Did you know that organic berries are actually smaller? So you'll be getting more when you buy them organic. What's the benefit? You'll get more antioxidants from eating more of them in a serving! We always buy a huge bag of frozen blueberries at Costco for a great price! They are great for smoothies or for eating as a sweet treat with a little raw honey drizzled over top!
- Meat - Okay, so this is the one that may freak people out because organic meat definitely costs more, but here is why I put this in my top 5. While I'm not going to freak out for not eating everything organic, I don't feel confident in how animals are cared for in these big commercial facilities. For that reason, I don't trust that they've been humanely treated well and I don't trust what they were being fed/given drug wise. I have found that I can save a great deal on organic meats by shopping at Costco! And sometimes you can find it on sale in grocery stores when it's fixing to expire.
- Dairy - I won't put you through all that again! Hehe! This one would be for the same reason as meat. However, we PCOS Prevailers don't need a lot of dairy! The only things I really enjoy that are dairy are cheese and greek yogurt - and I don't eat a ton of either!
So, there ya go! I hope you find this helpful and I hope it inspires you to work on your health.. regardless of not going all in! Every little thing you can do for your health helps!
P.S. Are you feeling overwhelmed with all of the information out there about PCOS and nutrition? I can help! You can sign up for my free Gluten Free e-Book by clicking here OR check out how I can support you with all of the resources that have helped me to combat my PCOS symptoms and overcome infertility by clicking here! AND, if you sign up by 11:59PM tonight, I will throw in a 30 minute complimentary coach call to chat with you even more about your goals and how we can make this work for you! Are you ready to prevail over those PCOS symptoms!? Let's get started!