My husband had a work dinner that he attended yesterday evening. Since Leland, my 10-month-old son, doesn't eat a huge amount yet, I did not want to cook for just us. I took it as the perfect opportunity to try out the bag of cauliflower rice that's been patiently waiting in my freezer to be used! This recipe takes no time to whip up and it's healthy and yummy!
Cauliflower Rice & Beans in 5 Minutes
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 small red onion OR about 1/4 cup of minced onion
- 1 clove garlic OR 1/8 tsp of garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 2 tsp cumin
- pink salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups store-bought riced cauliflower, fresh or frozen and thawed (I unthawed mine in the microwave beforehand)
- 1 14.5 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed (choose low-sodium if possible)
- 1/4 cup cilantro stemmed and finely chopped OR a little over a tbsp of dried cilantro
- zest and juice of 1 lime OR 1-2 tbsp of lime juice, depending on your taste
Step 1: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add onion, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper. Saute for about 1 minute or until it starts to soften. It won't take as long if you are using minced onion.
Step 2: Make sure the oil is very hot then add in the riced cauliflower and toss the pan to coat in oil. All the cauliflower rice to soften and brown, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
Step 3: Stir in beans, cilantro, and lime zest/juice. Cook for a minute more to heat through and serve!